Monday 11 May 2009

Blackmailers

Last week I happened to be in Umm Al Quwain for some business during the day. Part of the work involved a meeting with the client, who happened to be at one of the famous resorts in Umm Al Quwain.
As I headed back to Dubai, I noticed I was being followed by a grey Honda Accord with two lads in national dress in it.As we entered Sharjah, the traffic built up and I slowed down.
The grey Honda came up behind me and nudged my car, resulting in some scratches. We pulled over to the side of the road and the two lads proceeded to accuse me of being drunk, telling me that the cops would arrest me.
Since I hadn’t touched a drink, I was more than willing to get the cops involved. Then they started to accuse me of transporting alcohol. Again untrue.
The lads demanded they search my car. I refused saying that let the cops get here and if the police needed to, they could search my car. Finally the lads came to the point, asking me for dhs1,500 for them not to get the cops involved.
By this point I had had it and called the cops myself. As soon as I had done this, the two lads jumped in their car and sped off.
When the police arrived I told them the whole story and gave them the number plate of the Honda. My advice to all people returning from Umm Al Quwain, is to not fear these blackmailers. Do not let them search your car. Call the cops and of course, never drink and drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment